Updated: Sep 13
There is a growing interest in - segment consumers by type? A recent article by Euromonitor.
Marketing to consumers solely by demographics is now outdated and can give you a skewed view. It is imperative that when we are marketing and social media consultants consider our consumer relying on these obsolete paradigms exploring at their buying behaviour and purchase decision-making, can give me with a skewed view of their daily habits and long-term lifestyle choices.
Alternatively, in a recent Euromonitor International's yearly Consumer Types, it challenged me and others to analyse the consumer's past conventional demographics and profiles distinct personality-driven buyer types at both the global and country level.
I took time and understood the significance and record that these changes in attitude. Tracking habits through Consumer Types Series year-on-year. They are delivering valuable perspicacity into what consumers want and need, even discriminating among those in the same demographic collection.
This segmentation enables Small to Medium Businesses (SMB) and companies to consider creatively marketing and engaging with our potential customers. We need to be imaginative and committed to embracing Brand different tones and compelling campaigns tailored to changing consumers' interests and attitudes.
For example - I live in a the post-demographic consumerism era. I am attuned to and necessitate to incorporate this into any future SNS Marketing campaigns.
The Euromonitor Article postured the idea of post-demographic consumerism.
It validated what I had perceived, and that is how consumers of all ages in all markets are constructing their own identities more freely than ever. As a result, I cannot resume to defined consumption patterns by 'traditional' demographic segments such as age, gender, location, income, family status and more.
We were predicting purchases based on stereotypes that were so widely known and subconsciously relied upon to decide what consumers and what they wanted to see in SNS Marketing.
Raising 2 Millennials, they have assisted me to see through this, and I feel comfortable with presently experimenting past these stereotypes. My Millennials have helped me to reach this post-demographic consumerism era where people feel free to construct their own identities.
Because of this, the traditional demographic segments that we are so used to using for consumption patterns no longer work.
So much of purchasing and market research is reliant on demographics because it simplifies our perception of people. I have had to abandon the roles and stereotypes of the 50 and 60s—the times of "Darren from Bewitched" the ever savvy advertising wiz pitch his ad campaigns.
The '50s and '60s saw consumers who wanted and required to fit in and not stand out from the pack. Norms and conventions were reliable resources for creating products, communications, based on the expectations of the consumers.
The smartphone, the internet, has opened up the world to many. Along with the growth of ethnic minorities, the empowerment of women, and the development of all types of ideas. People are no longer anxious to step outside of what's expected of them. And because of this, consumerism is headed in a more interesting unconventional direction.
This direction needs to be adopted and celebrated by SNS and marketing consultants. I have been relishing this new adventure of providing greater answers and solutions to the consumer
I am entirely aware that technology has been one of the crucial drivers of the post-demographic consumerism trend. Consumers now have access to an abundance of information that helps to shape their views of the world and themselves. As this has naturally occurred, people's interests have become more diverse than ever before.
Demographics are no longer enough to profile consumers and determine how to communicate with them. The knowledgeable consumer is more than their gender, skin colour, the neighbourhood they live in or their sexual orientation. While these are all significant factors that impact how one may see the world; it's short-sighted only to consider demographics when painting a picture of the consumer.
The need for SNS Marketing to be far more proactive and to consider the consumer's attitudes, behaviours and self-perceptions/identities are just as critical, if not more important in understanding who they are. Then going out to inform them of the solutions your client products or services has to offer them.
What does this mean for brands? Brands need to start embracing this "new normal" and celebrate new cultural norms. One Brand already taking advantage of this is Netflix. They have moved beyond using demographics to understand their users, and have learned that demographics are almost useless to them as an indicator of behaviour.
Their VP of Product Innovation, Todd Yellin, said, "Everyone's instinct was, 'Yeah if you find out their age and gender data, that's fantastic'. But what we learned is: it's almost useless". Instead of using basic stereotypes like geography, age, and gender, Netflix uses a more complex global algorithm to give recommendations to its users. Todd also explained, "There's a mountain of data that we have at our disposal.
That mountain is composed of two things. Garbage is 99 per cent of that mountain. Gold is one per cent. Geography, age, and gender? We put that in the garbage heap. Where you live is not that important." Because they use this global algorithm, it means, the titles that you are shown when you sign in to Netflix are influenced by so much more than just where you live.
Is a consumer who follows all the latest trends more likely to be influenced by social media and celebrity endorsements?
Is a consumer who is focused on experiencing life to the fullest less likely to buy materialistic products?
All of these questions, Netflix considers when looking at their products and their consumers. With the rise of the BLM movement over the last few years which reached a crescendo with George Floyd. Netflix has been quick to act and implements its programming to bring attention to the struggles of the Black community.
Why segment consumers by type? Euromonitor International's annual Consumer Types analysis looks beyond standard demographics and profiles distinct personality-driven consumer types at both the global and country level.
Changes in attitudes and habits can be tracked through our Consumer Types Series year-on-year, giving valuable insight into what consumers want and need, even distinguishing among those in the same demographic group. There are now 11 Categories of Consumer Personality Types - of my Idea consumer.
Which categories do you think your Ideal Consumer would fall into?
Impulsive Spender – 16 % of the world's population
Minimalist Seeker – 13% of the world's population
Secure Traditionalist – 12 % of the world's population
Empowered Activist – 12 % of the world's population
Undaunted Striver – 11 % of the world population
Conservative Homebody – 9% of the world's population
Digital Enthusiast – 9% of the world's population
Inspired Adventurer – 6% of the world's population
Cautious planner – 5% of the world's population
Self-care Aficionado – 5% of the World Population
Balanced optimist – 3% of the Worlds Population
More Importantly what answers and solutions can you provide to them in their quest to lead a more fulfilling life?
The impulsive Spender - How to use SNS and Marketing to Engage with this consumer
• Solutions to create more convenient and easy-to-use shopping services to facilitate quick purchases. High-quality eCommerce and improved features.
• Answer to tailored and personalised shopping experiences, with High-quality virtual reality applications on your products
• Solutions - to proactively provide clear promotion of prices and discounts, explicitly highlighting value for money and bargains on your goods or services
• Solutions - Dynamic online and offline shopping platforms. To create a seamless omnichannel shopping experience. The use of Online SNS platforms such as Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Instastories, Pinterest. The more visuals in your marketing the better.
Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Consumer who is an Impulsive Spender on products
The Impulsive Spender highly appreciates experiences, and this is unlikely to vary due to the effects of COVID-19. Instead. The Impulsive Spender will possibly continue spending money and allocating emphasis on experiences, even if this involves that they need to switch to virtual options.
The Impulsive Spender will continue to prioritise accessibility and value for money, especially in light of the expected global economic recession. They are incredibly likely to execute online purchases from the brands with easy-to-use online interfaces and those who openly outline price and free shipping. Our Solution is to facilitate this purchasing process for them without them being hindered.
The Minimalist Seeker How to use SNS and Marketing to Engage with this consumer
• Seeks to use innovative transparent packaging and labelling information in-store and online for them to complete the sale.
• Solution - place special importance on wholesome responsibly sourced eco-conscious, sustainable, locally sourced and high-quality ingredients and materials
• Solution - Streamlined, time-saving platforms to expedite the shopping decision making process and analysis phase of the path to buying quicker
• Solution - Promotion of products or services with advantageous waste reduction features, such as recyclable substances or second-hand purchases. Lowest carbon and environmental impact. The use of Online SNS platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, TikTok Twitter, Youtube, Pinterest. The more visuals in your marketing the better.
Result of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Minimalist Seeker with SNS Marketing and their buying practice.
The perceptive Minimalist Seeker profoundly values community issues like climate change, fast fashions. These social issues are anticipated to take precedent in the wake of COVID-19. They will place a further significant and conscientious emphasis on shopping locally, supporting local businesses as well as continuing to make eco-friendly and sustainable purchases.
The Minimalist Seeker is also likely to invest in services and products that will allow them to maintain physical and mental well-being during this time of uncertainty. Does your product or service provide the solutions they are seeking as a consumer?
The Secure Traditionalist How to apply SNS and Marketing to Engage with this buyer.
• Solutions - for you to implement in-store and offline services to mitigate any anxieties in using technology. They would like to be able to depend on the retail experience also.
• Solution - use local SEO – find me on Search Engines. They require to shop local and small.
• Answers - label promotional items, low prices and discounts – especially on usual and essential product purchases
• Solutions - design a convenient and easy shopping experience to decrease time allocated shopping and in-store. The use of Online SNS platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest. The more visuals in your marketing the better.
Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Secure Traditionalist - with SNS Marketing and their buying experience.
I believe that the Secure Traditionalist is likely to increase their frugal behaviour in the wake of COVID-19. With the uncertainty of future Work, they will be continuing to seek low prices on products and services and save money during this time. The likelihood of them stock-piling essential goods will remain high and discounted bulk offers will influence them. The Secure Traditionalists as a consumer was one who was not likely to make frivolous or impulse purchases; this sentiment will likely continue with even more rigour. So engagement through the marketing process, highlighting what they already need in essential product purchases with low pricing, discounts, free shipping.
Best ways to engage Empowered Activist How to use SNS and Marketing to Engage with this consumer
• Solutions - straightforward and frank labelling with importance on the green, sustainability and eco-conscious features. Highlighting the founders of the Brand from females, to Black Entrepreneurs. This can be part of your marketing campaigns to highlight these individuals.
• Answers - competitively priced products, offering bulk offers.
• Solutions - rewards or loyalty programs and discounts on regularly purchased brands and products. Free shipping to products purchased. Using online platforms like Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat, Facebook groups to engage with them.
• Answers - aligning company and brand engagement to global issues through evident sustainability and welfare strategies and charitable platforms. The use of Online SNS platforms such as Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Instastories, Pinterest. The more visuals in your marketing the better
The consequence of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Empowered Activist
The Empowered Activist highly values community matters, which are likely to take precedent in the wake of COVID-19. They will place more increased emphasis on shopping locally and supporting local businesses, as well as continuing to make eco-friendly and sustainable purchases.
This portion of consumers are customarily involved in charity work and helping aid organisations to assist those who have been impacted by COVID-19. Experiences remain an essential part of the Empowered Activists' lifestyles, and they are likely to maintain investing in these even if they must move to online platforms and formats if you can provide the solutions in reward and loyalty programs, Brands with a conscience and diversity hirings.
The Undaunted Striver - SNS and Marketing to Engage with this consumer.
• Solutions - tailored and personalised purchasing experiences, linked with high brand engagement. Online or Zoom virtual events.
• Answers - transparent promotion of the newest trends, principally through social media platforms or celebrity endorsements.
• Solutions - Availability of online and offline shopping platforms, designing a seamless omnichannel shopping experience
• Answer - honest to understand and straightforward labelling with emphasis on green, sustainability and eco-conscious features. The use of Online SNS platforms such as Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Instastories, Pinterest, Blogs. The more visuals in your marketing the better.
Influence of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Undaunted Striver with SNS Marketing and their buying experience.
The Undaunted Striver profoundly values experiences, and this is unlikely to change due to the effects of COVID-19. Instead, the Undaunted Striver will likely continue spending money and placing importance on experiences, even if this means that they need to adjust to social distancing measure or switch to virtual and online options.
Undaunted Strivers are likely to continue investing in their image and status through online platforms. Therefore, they are likely to keep making impulse purchases and spend money on the latest trends to curate their online image via social media platforms. These platforms will become even more critical to Undaunted Strivers as they are unable to engage people in person if social distancing measures continue.
Best ways to target the Conservative Homebody How to use SNS and Marketing to Engage with this consumer
• Solutions - promotion of products that enhance personal well-being or facilitate time spent with immediate family and close friends, with specific emphasis on self-care
• Answers - clear promotion of low cost, discounts and value for money
• Solutions - availability of online and offline shopping platforms that work in conjunction to create a seamless omnichannel shopping experience
• Solutions - convenient services to facilitate quick purchases alongside a memorable and unique shopping experience. The use of Online SNS platforms such as Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, Instastories, Pinterest. The more visuals in your marketing the better.
The consequence of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Conservative Homebody with SNS Marketing and their buying experience.
The Conservative Homebody highly values time spent with loved ones, such as immediate family and close friends. Due to social distancing measures, Conservative Homebodies are likely to turn to virtual experiences and platforms to connect with others and maintain relationships. Conservative Homebodies are unlikely to change their shopping habits in the wake of COVID-19. Since they placed little importance on materialistic possessions, they will most likely continue purchasing their regular items and base their shopping decisions on need and price.
Best ways to target the Digital Enthusiast How to use SNS and Marketing to Engage with this consumer
• Solutions - easy-to-use online interfaces to promote quick online shopping and price comparisons. Platforms that are fast in downloading minimizing time spent waiting.
• Answers - convenient customer service during the path to purchase to minimise time spent shopping and facilitate an immediate purchase, especially on impulse buys
• Answers - collaborations with tailored virtual and online experiences
• Answers - mark promotional items, low prices and discounted items — especially on everyday and essential purchases. The use of Online SNS platforms such as Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Instastories, LinkedIn, Pinterest. The more visuals and platforms in your marketing the better
Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Digital Enthusiast with SNS Marketing and their buying experience.
The Digital Enthusiast is likely to increase their frugal behaviour in the wake of COVID-19, continuing to seek low prices and save money in a time of economic uncertainty. They are also likely to stock-pile essential products and be swayed by discounted bulk offers.
Since the Digital Enthusiast is already extremely comfortable using technology and participating in virtual experiences. Created behaviours are likely to increase even more as new platforms and ways to engage online as a result of coronavirus.
Best ways to target Inspired Adventurer How to use SNS and Marketing to Engage with this consumer
• Solutions - promotion of products that enhance personal health, well-being and self-care
• Answers - clear promotion of low cost, discounts and value for money
• Solution - convenient services to facilitate quick purchases
• Solutions - prioritising products and services which allow them to better themselves — including career, personal health, global issues and personal relationships. The use of Online SNS platforms such as Youtube, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Instastories. The more visuals in your marketing the better.
Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Inspired Adventurer with SNS Marketing and their buying experience.
Inspired Adventurers tend to be extremely future-focused. The effect of coronavirus might make them more cautious when thinking about their future, resulting in them spending less money in the short-term and investing more in future savings to ensure a stable future—taking this time to reflect on their end and re-evaluate any plans according to the current economic climate.
This market segment will be early adopters will be on the lookout for innovations in this space. That Inspired Adventurers also see the important is that preventative health care will become increasingly important. The amount of importance placed is likely to stay the same or increase.
Best ways to target the Cautious Planner - How to use SNS and Marketing to Engage with this consumer
• Solutions - provide in-store and offline services to alleviate any anxieties in using technology.
• Solutions - use local SEO – find me on Search Engines. They want to shop local and small.
• Answers - mark promotional items, low prices and discounts – especially on usual and essential purchases
• Solutions - create a convenient and easy shopping experience to minimise time spent shopping. The use of Online SNS platforms such as Youtube, Twitter, LinkedIn Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Instastories, Pinterest. The more visuals in your marketing the better.
Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Cautious Planner with SNS Marketing and their buying experience.
With Coronavirus this Cautious planner would be more likely to stock-pile as they tend to have high loyalty to specific brands and products and they are willing to pay more for a product they believe is worth the money. Yet offers on usual purchase such as multipacks, bulk discounts, free shipping or club membership are likely to resonate with the Cautious planner.
The Cautious Planner carefully determines their purchases before making them and rarely makes impulse purchases or buys non-essential items.
The 2020 debut of the Self-care Consumer
A new consumer segment emerges. It is evolving these past eight months of the global pandemic forcing many to Work from home (WFM) and the lockdown in many communities and leading the ongoing trend of Self-care. This consumer segment makes up 5% of the global populations in the Euromonitor report.
This self-care aficionado' segment has had the time to reflect and placed focus on themselves during the lockdown. With the inability to go to a Hair Salon, attend group exercise classes. This segment now is placing much importance on being self-reliant. Their spending and purchases have been affected by the coronavirus. Their homes or apartments have become their sanctuaries, so spending on things that will benefit their physical surroundings and mental well-being is a priority.
They are prioritising their health and well-being by taking part in exercise regularly and placing much importance in vitamins, supplements, balanced diets, and their homes.
The Self-care aficionado How to use SNS and Marketing to Engage with this consumer
Solution - Promotion of products that enhance personal health, well-being and self-care, green, sustainability and eco-conscious
Solution - feature SNS marketing and advertising of products that enhance the individual's emotional well-being or facilitate time spent with immediate family and close friends, with specific emphasis on self-care.
Solution - use of Youtube videos which show much DIY and at-home ways to make their homes an oasis.
Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Self-care Aficionado with SNS Marketing and their buying experience. The use of Online SNS platforms such as Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Instastories, Pinterest. The more visuals in your marketing the better.
Ensuring they lead a healthy lifestyle. Most likely to be early adopters of any new health preventative measures.
Balanced optimist with SNS Marketing and their buying experience.
The Balanced Optimist is a pragmatic consumer. They are usually cautious about how they spend their money and look to save rather than spend. Low prices powerfully drive them. Even though they do value brand-name products, they are unlikely to buy them unless they are discounted and competitively priced. They do not have very strong brand loyalty and can shift their preferences according to low prices and how much money they can save.
Balanced Optimists could potentially be a great target market for new-to-market companies or private label companies that are cheaper than name-brand alternatives. Due to their heavy interest in low prices, clear discounts, and easy price comparison in-store and online could facilitate quicker purchasing decision making. They could potentially make Balanced Optimists' shopping experiences more convenient as well as enable their impulsive shopping behaviour.
• Solution - clear promotion of low cost, discounts and value for money
• Solution - convenient services to facilitate quick purchases
• Answer - prioritising products and services which allow them to better themselves — including career, personal health, global issues and personal relationships
Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Balanced optimist with SNS Marketing and their buying experience.
They enjoy experiences and value their time spent by themselves as well as with close family and friends. They place much importance on their happiness and the happiness of those around them, meaning they will be happy to frequently make small impulsive purchases to threat themselves or those around them. They will continue to appreciate the simple shopping experiences that allow them to get shopping done quickly, given them more time to spend on the things that they value greatly.
Many of the 2020 essential habit and lifestyle preferences of the 11 consumer types are consistent with the 2019 report. I noted the one new consumer type, the Self-care Aficionado, in 2020 due to the impact of the coronavirus around the world.
There seems that these consumer types have some cross over shopping preferences. Which as a methodical SNS Marketing Consultant, you would be wise to consider. Being customer-oriented and providing the list of solutions to your customer, you are providing them with a comprehensive and on the target shopping experience.
SOLUTIONS FOR YOUR CONSUMER
Convenient and easy-to-use shopping services to facilitate quick purchases.
• Create tailored and personalised shopping experiences
• With promotions - provide a clear understanding of prices and discounts, explicitly highlighting value for money and bargains
• Provide or mark promotional items, low prices and discounts – especially on usual and essential purchases, the latest trends, primarily through social media platforms or celebrity endorsements
• Create a convenient and easy shopping experience to minimise time spent shopping
• Inform them of shopping solution alternatives from - availability of online and offline shopping platforms, creating a seamless omnichannel shopping experience, to alleviate any anxieties in using technology
· Answer their questions with the greater use of all SNS and Social Media Platforms with tailored marketing to each of the combination of consumer groups.
• Provide them with marketing tailored and personalised shopping experiences coupled with high brand engagement on your SNS Platforms.
• In-Store Solutions - clear packaging and labelling information in-store and online with specific emphasis on healthy, eco-conscious, sustainable, locally sourced and high-quality ingredients and materials
• Solutions - easy-to-use comparison platforms to facilitate the shopping decision making process and research phase of the path to purchase
• Marketing and Promotion of products with waste reduction features, such as recyclable materials or second-hand purchase
• Marketing - easy to understand and straightforward labelling with emphasis on green, sustainability and eco-conscious features
Leading your promotions and marketing with solution-based choices will drive an even larger audience for your products or services.